Llanberis MRT History
Prior to the establishment of the Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team, mountain accidents on the slopes of Snowdon and in the Llanberis Pass were attended to by persons called together at short notice by Chris Briggs, the owner of the Pen y Gwryd Hotel, which was also a designated Mountain Rescue Post.
Chris Briggs was for many years the instigator of mountain rescue call outs between 1947 and late 1960’s. By the end of the 1960’s the number of incidents had increased and the demands on a small number of ad hoc volunteers become onerous. Early attempts were made to form a Mountain Rescue Team based in the village of Llanberis. The principals of the numerous Outdoor Activities Centres based around the village met in 1968 under the chairmanship of Don Roscoe, and the embryo Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team was formed. However, it was not until March 1973 that the organisation was recognised by the Mountain Rescue Council with a formal constitution.
The Snowdonia National Park Authority agreed to allow the Team to use the Warden Centre at Nant Peris as its permanent base. This allowed the proper storage of rescue equipment which the Team had gradually acquired over the years. By 1976 the Warden Centre at Nant Peris was formally recognised by the Mountain Rescue Counil as Rescue Post 77.
How to support Llanberis MRT